So I was reading some news and an article grabbed my attention about city populations around the world. Let's just say that I must be living under a rock because I wasn't even close in guessing the numbers, nor the cities! I MEAN I WASN'T EVEN IN THE SAME GALAXY! Here I am thinking the biggest MIGHT be 15-18million...DOH! Silly me. It turns out that the top five megacities in the world look like this:
5. Sao Paulo, Brazil checks in at 21,297,000 people and the city holds 1.4% of Brazil's population
4. Mumbai (formerly Bombay), India comes in at 21,357,000 and has 1.6% of India's population
3. Shanghai has ONLY 24,484,000 people and 1.7% of China's population
2. Delhi, India claims the #2 spot with 26,454,000 and 2% of India's population
And coming in at #1...DRUM ROLL PLEASE
1. TOKYO, JAPAN HAS....38,140,00 PEOPLE...YES, 38M PLUS!!!! And even crazier...Tokyo has 30% OF JAPAN'S POPULATION! That is just INSANE!
I am blown away. When did these cities get so ginormous?!?!? The US comes in at #10 with a paltry 18,604,000 in the combo NYC-Newark region. LA checks in at #21 with 12,317,000. America looks like part-timers here!
I think the universe just told me to WAKE UP. Dear LORD I feel uninformed but on the positive side...it reaffirms that I love living in the country. 38M just flat out scares me ;o) ~Coe <3